400 gr chickpeas, soaked overnight
30 ml pomegranate balsamic cream Papadim’s
1 tbsp red sweet pepper
80 ml olive oil
Salt, to taste
Pepper, freshly ground, to taste
800 gr chicken, cut into portions
2 red onions, finely chopped
300 gr tomatoes, grated on the largest holes of the grater
2 bay leaves
Parsley leaves for the garnish
- Strain the chickpeas, put them in a deep pot with water and boil them over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and continue boiling for 50-60 minutes until the chickpeas are tender but not falling apart.
- Strain and leave aside.
- In a large bowl, add the Pomegranate Balsamic Cream, the red pepper, half of the olive oil, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the chicken slices and turn them over so that they are fully covered by the mixture. Reserve the remaining mixture to use at a later stage.
- In a wide saucepan heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the chicken slices for 4-5 minutes until they are nicely browned from all sides and slightly caramelized.
- Add the onions and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the grated tomato, the bay leaves, the remaining mixture from the bowl in which we had dipped the chicken and 200 ml of water.
- Taste and if necessary, add some more salt and freshly ground pepper; cook over high heat for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the chicken.
- Preheat the oven at 200ο C.
- When the chicken is almost done, transfer it to an oven-proof dish, add the chickpeas, season with salt and mix well.
- Place the oven-proof dish in the oven and bake for about 10minutes until the ingredients are well combined and the sauce is creamy.
- Remove the bay leaves from the dish, garnish with parsley leaves and serve.