6 tbsp olive oil (2tbsp + 4 tbsp)
1 kg beef, cut into small portions
1 medium onion, grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 fresh tomatoes, grated
1 tbsp tomato paste
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp allspice
Salt, to taste
5 aubergines, cut into large pieces
Pepper, to taste
2 tbsp Mild Mustard Papadim’s
Parsley, finely chopped
- In a large pot, add two spoonfuls of olive oil and when hot, brown the meat pieces in batches, thoroughly from all sides.
- Add the onion and garlic and continue frying for two more minutes.
- Add the grated tomato, the tomato paste, nutmeg, allspice, a little salt and enough water to cover the meat completely; allow to simmer for 60 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, add 4 tbsp olive oil in a sauce pan and fry the aubergines on medium heat for 4-5 minutes each side.
- Remove the aubergines from the pan and set them aside on kitchen paper towel to drain.
- When the meat is almost done, add the aubergines and the mustard – as well as a little extra water if necessary – and cook for another 20-25 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper and shake the food around in the pot so it does not stick to the bottom.
Garnish with parsley and serve.