300 gr squid, preferably fresh, cleaned and with the body section sliced in rings.
400 gr medium-sized shrimps, cleaned
300 gr mussels without their shells
300 gr octopus, cooked and cut into small pieces
½ cup olive oil
1 large dry onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
2 red bell peppers, finely cut into rings
4 tbsp balsamic cream Papadim’s
Salt, to taste
Pepper, freshly ground, to taste
2 cups Carolina rice
5 cups boiling hot water
4 stigmas of Greek red saffron, diluted in 1 tbsp boiling water
- In a deep cooking pot, sauté the squid; as soon it is nicely browned and releases no more liquid, add the rest of the seafood.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the seafood to a bowl.
- In the same cooking pot, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion for about 3-4 minutes, constantly scraping the fond off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula: peeling off the browned seafood residue will add flavour to the onion.
- Add the carrot and the peppers and sauté for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add the seafood, stir and finally add the balsamic cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- As soon as they have begun to bubble, add the boiling hot water and some extra salt.
- When the water starts to boil, add the rice and stir.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed the liquid, stirring frequently so the risotto does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Approximately 5 minutes before the rice is cooked, add the Greek Red Saffron.
Serve the seafood risotto while hot.