½ kg Santorini yellow split peas (they taste different from the others)
1 red onion (whole)
a little salt
For the trimmings
3 red onions, cut in rings
3 tbsp capers
4 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp Classic Balsamic Cream Papadim’s
Very little salt
- Boil the split peas in one liter of water together with the whole onion and some salt.
- When the peas have softened and turned into mush, allow cooling down, and then process in a blender until you get a smooth puree.
- In a large frying pan, heat up the oil and add the onion rings and a spoonful of sugar.
- Sauté the onion rings until translucent and then add the capers, balsamic cream and very little salt.
- Stir thoroughly until the onion rings caramelize.
- Serve the split pea puree adding the onion rings on top, together with the capers and the cream that is left in the frying pan.
- Finally, add some thyme on every plate and serve.