1/3 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp red pepper flake & paprika mustard Papadim’s
Some red hot pepper
3 ½ cups chickpeas, cooked
750 gr grated tomato
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
4 cups vegetable stock
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
2 tbsp tahini
1 tsp sesame oil
6-8 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
¼ cup basil leaves for the garnish
- In a large cooking pot, heat the oil and sauté the onions and carrots over medium heat until the onions become translucent.
- Add the garlic, cumin, red pepper flake & paprika mustard and the pepper and cook for one more minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the chickpeas, the tomato, cider vinegar, soy sauce and the vegetables stock, season and stir.
- As soon as the soup has come to the boil, reduce the heat to medium – low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes until the carrots have softened.
- Transfer half of the soup to the blender, add the tahini and the sesame oil and blend until you get a smooth velouté.
- Return the velouté soup into the cooking pot so it warms up again, mix thoroughly with the rest of the soup, taste and add salt if necessary.
- Remove from the heat, add the finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, garnish with the basil leaves and serve.